Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Vivacious Vocabulary!


Vocabulary development is an essential component in global literacy.  Earlier in the course, we were asked to reflect on our idea of literacy.  From this reflection, literacy has expanded itself beyond the reading and writing to incorporate a variety of technological components.  Within any literate domain vocabulary is essential.  Therefore, students should be taught strategies to make connections among words.  This week, I have learned that vocabulary words cannot stand in isolation.  For instance, students should not be asked to learn a word and be able to define and apply.  Even though, I had originally thought this to be important, the chapter shed light on the value of teaching students how to build connections between words.  

Teaching vocabulary as an interconnected web to previously taught concepts develops the building blocks necessary for activating prior knowledge and developing word knowledge.  To bring meaning to this in my own classroom, I have my students code their vocabulary words.  In this coding process, they mark words they know, they have seen before, and they have never heard of with different symbols.  Many of my students are responsive to this, because it helps them break down a list of words into more manageable parts.  We then discuss their coding and any connections they have.  This reminded me of the levels of vocabulary mentioned on the Moodle.  The insight provided by Lesson 7 on the Moodle has been valuable.  Having these levels to assist me in reevaluating my own vocabulary instruction can have a profound impact on my students vocabulary. 
  It has been interesting to see how each chapter’s underlying theme has been CONNECTION, especially to prior knowledge.  If students are not taught how to use what they have already been taught, they struggle with developing a perspective and creative thought process. Many of the activities I have in place for vocabulary development encourages the students to apply the meaning of the word in a sentence(s) and depict its meaning through drawing.  Furthermore, they are asked to learn synonyms and antonyms as well as list words that remind them of the vocabulary word.  I have found that students who can connect the vocabulary word to previous learned words or statements have an easier time making meaning and applying the words in their daily vernacular. While I do not believe it will provide any disservice to a child if they are asked to learn a word and create a sentence using the word, it is obvious how important it is that they learn how to web word meanings to other experiences/words.  I know this skill is lacking for so many of my students, because they struggle making meaning of the word in their own lives. I am left asking myself, do the students have a strong background and understanding of words that connect with ‘this’ word in order to develop an appropriate sentence?  With this question in mind, how can I create enough time to model and guide them in building these connections?  

What I most liked about this reading was the support it provides for the numerous strategies it mentions.  While I am left with questions to ponder, the book does not abandon me.   There are numerous activities that can be implemented to assist my students in their vocabulary development.  I have mentioned above that there are already word work activities in place which incorporate some of the ideas mentioned in this chapter.  Even though, I have activities in place that help develop connections, I have been reminded how important it is to guide students in creating connection between prior knowledge and the words.  Therefore, I have plans to incorporate more activities that encourage students to make these connections.
While I do find more time to engage my students in language arts vocabulary, I often struggle to find time for the students to engage with science and social studies words.  This chapter offered some great solutions to this problem.  For instance, the use of the semantic feature analysis would be easy to incorporate into a math or science unit.  I can see myself utilizing this as a before and after learning tool.  Moreover, these can be used as reference tools for the students as they are reviewing new content.  Another intriguing strategy was the use of magic squares.  I liked this for 2 reasons 1) it is likely they have never seen vocabulary delivered this way and 2.) It has an element of logic and math.  This can potential intrigue the math ‘smart’ students.  All of these strategies, in one way or another can be easily used as differentiated activities.  I feel that my tool box of ideas is growing immensely which will only encourage success for ALL my students.

  Finally, I have been compelled to consider designing my extensions on my vocabulary tests by using categorization activities.  These would not only help extend their understanding; however, it would support the importance of connecting vocabulary words to main ideas thus creating an intricate web of knowledge!  Overall, I am looking forward to the new innovative vocabulary ideas that I can incorporate in all subject areas!

1 comment:

  1. I say, whatever works to teach vocabulary. This is one of the most boring repition tasks that we undertake and the kids hate it. If we can make it fun for them, the better off we will be. I also agree with your statement that you are not doing a disservice to the student by asking them to look up a definition, but how long will they remember that word? Long enough for the test or forever?

    ReplyDelete