Monday, July 25, 2011

1 day vs 180 days??


How else should it be addressed other than THE TEST!!  Oh, how I despise what you represent.  To me, the idea of standardized testing has always left a bad taste in my mouth.  I was the student who developed test anxiety which led me to psyching myself out of the knowledge I knew I had.  As a teacher, I look back and want to console my younger self.  Thankfully, my parents were supportive and realistic of the measure produced from the test!  However, this did not always mean my teachers were.  I was aware of my abilities as a learner.  I worked hard and did my best, but that was not what the score results showed.  As an educator, I feel I have developed empathy for students like myself.  It is important that my students always know that one day and one test will never define what they are capable of doing.  From the beginning of school, I share with them how important each day of their 5th grade year will be.   I have always struggled with the importance and impact gained from implementing a standardized test.  Even though a tremendous amount of data can be gained from a standardized test, that can provide insight into major difficulties suffered by students, it does not accurately represent what my students are capable of doing every day.  After reading the article “How Students Learn,” I am reminded of this fact.   Often, I feel that the test is a better measure of a student’s test taking and strategy usage.  I was quite moved by the following question addressed in the book, “Who is better equipped to observe students, to provide feedback, and to serve as a key informant about the meaning of classroom events?” (Vacca, Vacca, & Mraz, 2010).  This rhetorical question is easily answered, but I ponder how policy makers would answer this.  Often, I feel that so much is expected of us, as teachers, and we are inspected under a microscope by people who may never have stepped foot into a classroom.  I become extremely passionate about what I do and to think that someone who doesn’t know my kids or have been in a classroom is going to tell me what is best for them often seems absurd.  By no means am I dismissing their hope to rectify a more educated society, but is often frustrating to hear opinions of people who can’t honestly say they have done my job!  While I agree that standardized test can offer insight into student learning, it cannot be solely relied on.  However, like the article by Reiss states, we are often left guessing how we can improve student performance. Therefore, using portfolios is a great way to ‘assess’ student achievement. The Berkely study states that the “Teachers can scale down to examine how students learn during a single exercise, assignment, or class period, or focus on how they learn a specific concept, skill, or ability” (Reiss, 2009).  I have learned a lot about my students by mere observation.  The article offers simple strategies that “…that probe the learning process offer close up views of students grappling with new material, engaging in complex thinking and responding to instruction in the classroom” (Reiss, 2009). By incorporating portfolio use in the classroom, students begin to learn how to evaluate their own progress, thus developing their reflective judgment.  Moreover, by developing a portfolio, it forces the teacher to learn about his/her students for who they are and what they bring to the table.

As I was reading about performance based assessments and portfolio assessment, I had to remind myself that there will not be a model that works for all students.  Unfortunately, there are numerous variables to take into account when working human subjects.  Therefore, developing a one size fits all model will not work.  Integrating performance based assessment practices in the classroom is a marvelous idea for all teachers.  As I approach this upcoming school year, I plan to give this more attention.  While I keep student work, I rarely involve the students in assessing their performance based on this work.  Therefore, I hope to incorporate some of the suggestions offered by the book.  I really like the idea of interviewing the students.  Who better to ask how they learn than the student!  I plan to develop a Reading Comprehension Interview to begin my literacy development this school year.  I think this can provide a clear picture of the students’ perceptions.  Moreover, using the cloze reading strategy can offer insight into the students’ prior knowledge in relationship to the reading task.  I question how effective this would be when teaching from a novel.  I like the idea and hopefully I can find a way to implement it before I begin this upcoming school year.  By incorporating the cloze strategy in content area like science and social studies, I will potentially have a more clear representation of the students understanding.

Overall, there are advantages and disadvantages to both types of assessments.  I can see how appropriately implementing portfolio assessments may positively impact test scores and develop self –efficacy in student achievement.  Ultimately, it is important to utilize class time to do what is best for the child.  As educators, our number one goal is the student.  I strongly believe that if a teacher genuinely cares about the student and their achievement the student will learn and show growth.  It always amazes me to see how demanding this profession is and how little recognition we receive for the hard work we put in.  It is tough to recruit and retain teachers when such little recognition is given for all the hard work teachers put into their classes.  Therefore, I leave with this final question what are policy makers doing to ensure highly qualified teachers remain in the field?

2 comments:

  1. Kylie,

    I feel the same way about the Standardized Test. However, with being thrown in September, that’s what I taught and it was the only tool that I knew or understood. The thing that has bothered me this whole year is how these test are all multiple choice. No essay, no fill in the blank, or short answers. These are the test I remember. We never had the standard test that our students do. The portfolio was a new concept to me but I like the idea and the idea of the student being involved in that process. The student interview is a cool idea and I could see it’s benefit. I still don’t get what a cloze is but in time it will make more sense.

    Patty Hanes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patty,
    I definitely think you are onto something when you point out the test being all multiple choice. As educators, we are taught to differentiate our assignments to ensure all students are being reached. However, the test is designed in a way that does not reflect his idea. It concerns me when we review for the EOG and answers are debatable. Am I suppose to assume if it were a real EOG question, it would be considered a field test item and not count. By integrating a variety of test questions would be good. Also, including an essay portion to the test so students can explain their thinking would help. I have several students, when taking the EOG, write their reason for their answer choice. I wonder if anyone every gets to 'see' their thinking. Thanks for your comment Patty, I really enjoyed reading it :)
    Kylie

    ReplyDelete